Monday, September 5, 2011

Speaking terms...

Myrtle and I am on speaking terms again.  Funny, she was all put out about my frolicking in the mulch again as she worked.  [Why put it there if not to provide hours of enjoyment for her beloved puppy dog?]  But...magically...I am much loved because I left an evening deposit in the yard.  In fact, my morning one was made there, too.  So silly for Myrtle to have joy about where I make deposits.

While lounging across the top step as she worked in the bed on the side of the house, I got to thinking that Myrtle sort of throws herself into these projects like no one I've ever seen before.  Granted, I've seen few folk, but she just gets the dirt flying as if her life depended upon it, or something.

Since she was not quite done by dinner time, she served me out of doors.  I am of two minds about eating outside. I mean, in the mornings, I eat in the kitchen while Myrtle lies on the floor still trying to wake up.  Her head is right next to the bowl, and sometimes I snuggle up next to her as I eat.  In the evenings, she serves me on the couch as she eats her own dinner.  For some reason, I always finish first, so I leap up on the top of the couch and put my neck on her shoulder.  Almost without thought, Myrtle will slip me a bit or two as she eats.  When she is done, I tuck myself between her and the side of the couch and have a good long nap.

But when I eat out of doors, morning or evening, Myrtle stays on the steps after placing my bowl on the sidewalk.  I'm all alone.  Of course, I do have lots going around me instead of the silence of the house.  Birds are whistling.  Leaves are rustling.  Neighbors are chattering.  And I am crunching. It's pretty peaceful in its own way, I guess.

However, snuggling with Myrtle, even just pressing up against her is a wonderful thing.  Touching her, draping across her, leaning on her...I am not alone in those times.  That makes me happy.  I am fairly sure it makes Myrtle happy, too.

So, I suppose that eating outside every once in a while is okay, but I prefer chowing down inside with my Myrtle by my side.  Even if I am not getting extra tidbits, at least I am not alone.


This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

No comments:

Post a Comment