Saturday, September 10, 2011

Just shy of perfection...

Myrtle really is the bee's knees.  She's tops...practically perfect.  I mean, who could want a better puppy mom?

Sure, she shouts unpleasantries at me whenever I forget the proper place to make my deposits.  And she has this aversion to my rolling about in the mulch.  Oh, yeah, there is the whole refusal to allow me to dig in any way, shape, or form. But she's still a stellar puppy mom.

Well...there's one more thing.  You see, Myrtle has a hard time remembering things.  She forgets nearly everything.  Lately, something that really bothers her is walking into the kitchen and finding the refrigerator door open.  She opens it for something, turns away, and forgets that it is open. I suppose forgetting can be upsetting.  I mean, my forgetting where to relieve myself certainly upsets her.  But there is this one small thing I sort of need her to remember.

Water.

My beloved puppy mom forgets to give me water, to check my water bowl.  It's dry a lot.  I guess you could say I'm a thirsty fellow.

This morning, I licked the dew off the leaves, much to Myrtle's displeasure.  She kept hollering at me to stop.  I didn't want to make her angry, but I was really thirsty.  After all, my bowl had been dry since the afternoon before.  I also didn't want to make her feel bad by pointing out the empty water bowl.  However, when we got back inside, Myrtle saw the bowl, put two and two together, and burst into tears.  She filled up my bowl and showered me with kisses and apologized over and over again.

My puppy momma was so bereft that I wish I never need water ever again.  I really hate for her to feel badly and crawled into her lap and started wiping the tears off her cheeks and then crawled up her shoulders to wrap myself around her neck and stick my head next to hers.  She likes that very much.  [I do, too.]

I would most certainly go without drinking water ever again.  But Myrtle tells me water is important to living.  So, Myrtle needs a way to help her remember to fill the water bowl.  I cannot think of anything.  Can you?


This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

8 comments:

  1. I've got a GREAT suggestion, Amos. This way she can kill two birds (or if you prefer, two fearsome beasts) with one stone.

    Tell Myrtle that every time she fills your bowl with cool fresh water she gets to remember her Baptism into Jesus' death and resurrection too. Tell her that just as water refreshes and sustains you, she is likewise refreshed as she wakes up in the morning, signs herself with the holy Cross, and says, "In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" in memory of her Baptism. And just as she gives you what you need, because she loves you and is your mommy, so Myrtle's heavenly Father daily gives her what she needs to sustain her life and faith in Christ. And if she sometimes forgets, I know you forgive her, Amos. And if we sometimes lose sight of what God has graciously done for us in Christ, He forgives us too. Neat, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Dolph, Myrtle does talk about that Jesus stuff, so I'm sure she'll like what you say here, but I've never seen her sign herself with a cross (or anything else for that matter). So, she needs a way she remember how to check my water bowl that is not having to remember *another* new thing. You know...something practical, something she can couple with something else she does.

    Of course...maybe she ought to just start hanging signs everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell her to buy you a second water bowl and to leave it in an obvious, highly visible location such as the middle of the kitchen table or counter or on the lowest step of the stairs. When she sees it, maybe this could be a reminder to fill your bowl. Or she could leave a water buffalo or hippopotamus downstairs roaming free, and when she sees them she could could maybe think, "Aquatic Mammal." "Water." "Amos needs water."

    And be of good cheer, Amos. The presence of a water buffalo or hippopotamus in your living quarters will make the fearsome beast seem tame and harmless by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolph! I thought you were my friend! I thought you were on my side! A water buffalo living INSIDE the house? You want me to be tortured INSIDE the house as I am outside the house?? I'm beginning to think a puppy gets absolutely NO respect in this world.

    But...if a water buffalo lived inside and forgot to take his business outside, I bet my deposit mistakes would be piddling by comparison. Hey...maybe you are on to something there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got a good sense of humor, Amos. Kind of reminds me of Myrtle's. I think she's rubbed off on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, I really am insulted, Dolph! I happen to think that *my* sense of humor has rubbed off on Myrtle. After all, I am the one teaching her to laugh with abandon again over the small joys of life. Gee...I don't have a problem with livermush the way she does. You really ought to be on my side, Preacher Man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this one thing I know, Amos. You are very good for Myrtle. And that's a neat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amos, tell her to use her iPod. Don't worry about what that is, she'll know. I use mine to remind me to drink water.

    ReplyDelete