Saturday, August 13, 2011

What was she thinking...

Myrtle obviously does not remember what it is like to be a puppy.  Okay, to be fair, she doesn't remember a lot of things and weeps over that fairly regularly.  But she ought to at least give me a little slack simply because I am a puppy.

Puppies have it rough.  Our whole lives revolve around trying to learn new things. And there's almost too much to learn to fit it all in.  You forget one little thing, such as...say...where to poop...and the whole world falls apart. But, hey, there I was, minding my own business, living with a pile of sibling puppies indoors and the next thing I knew,  I was living here. And Myrtle expected me to start going potty outside having never even seen outside before!

Do you know how terrifying outside can be?  Grass.  Terrifying stuff.  It is hot and cold and wet and dry.  Never the same.  It tickles the pads on my paws, too.  Frankly, I'm not a fan of the stuff.  Myrtle's been a tad bereft over the browning of her grass due to the heat wave and drought, but I haven't minded at all.  Dead grass isn't nearly as disconcerting as the green stuff is.

Outside has the Fearsome Beast, too.  The first time I encountered it, I very wisely high-tailed it back up the steps and made my desire to gain the safety of inside as soon as possible.  But Myrtle rather callously picked me up and deposited me back on the grass.  She doesn't understand or care about the Fearsome Beast.

Just look here.  Wouldn't the sight of this Fearsome Beast in the strange jungle you just started trying to become accustomed to send you running for safety?  Myrtle hasn't taken a photo in a while, but, believe you, me this wild animal has grown four-fold.  No matter that so have I, or somewhere there abouts.  A fellow simply shouldn't have to face the Fearsome Beast when he's supposed to be concentrating on other things!

I suppose the worst part about outside is at the end of the day.  Outside become dark and even more dangerous.  With no lights out back, every step is a step into the unknown...and the likelihood that somewhere near by that Fearsome Beast is lurking nearby.  That's just too much for a little puppy dog such as I.

Inside has its own set of problems.  The list of what I cannot chew is every growing.  Hard to keep that straight in my head.  Then there's where I can play and where I cannot.  I also have to keep track of what I can eat and what I cannot. 

How am I supposed to managed to remember every single new thing in my life perfectly day in and day out.  Something's got to give.  It's not like I plan it this way.  It's not like I purposely have the thing I am to remember that I forget be where I am allowed to poop more often than anything else.  It just appears to be that way.

This is my life with Myrle.  Amos Adams signing off.

3 comments:

  1. Amos, dear, maybe the Fearsome Beast is also a might frightened of you? I a sure you can get along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me? I'm an adorable ball of fluff! What's so scary about that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amos, have you ever read the Henry James short story, "The Beast in the Jungle"? Get Myrtle to read it to you sometime. Now, Amos -speak, and roll over! Good boy. . .

    ReplyDelete