Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pillows, pillows, and even more pillows...

Myrtle keeps many, many pillows on our bed.  In fact, there are two more she keeps on the floor by the far side of the bed where people peaking in the room cannot see them.  At night, they are no longer on the floor, but rather in the bed with us.

Pillows!  I LOVE down pillows!  Did I mention that?  They are all down pillows.  If I am counting rightly, we share eight pillows.  Ah, down pillows!

Myrtle sleeps with pillows beneath her head and beneath both arms and both legs.  That makes six.  I am not sure the why of the other two pillows, but I do not object.  Most often, they are at the head of the bed and make a perfect nest for me to curl up in when she leaves take her medication in the early hours of the morning.

At first, Myrtle tried to move me out of my nest.  But didn't I say that I am a smart fellow?  When she tried this, I would play dead.  All limp and heavy like that, she was hard pressed to move me.  Both the weight of me and my adorable floppy body.  If I could figure out how to fake a snore, she wouldn't have even tried.  [Myrtle loves my snoring.  That's the truth. I oft hear her say so!]  Now, when I get my change to claim the nest, she just curls herself around me and rests her head upon the edges of my nest.  Hey, I just thought of something, my claiming the nest means that she's not sleeping along one edge of the bed.  We are, in fact, both in the middle of the bed.

Oh, I just love those all pillows!  SIGH.

I have pillows on my mind because today Myrtle brought down two pillows from the bed when we woke up.  I didn't know such a thing was possible!  My beloved pillows can leave the bedroom?  Now, this might have something to do with the fact that I dragged her out of bed at 9:05 AM, which, for Myrtle, is an ungodly hour of the morning.  If this is the case, perhaps I should get her out of bed early every day? Tempting...but...she needs her rest.  My Myrtle is tired all the time. I wouldn't want to make her more tired.

At first, she tossed them on the GREEN chair and the four of us snuggled away.  The GREEN chair is amazingly comfortable in and of itself, but being able to make a nest with the pillows and the crook of Myrtle's arm was sublime!  We both got some good snoozing in that way.

After she got up for the second time this day, she moved the pillows to the couch. I think she was thinking she would use them.  But, alas, I have happily been ensconced upon them all day!  They are just like being back with my sisters and brothers--so very comfortable no matter how I drape myself across them!  Would you believe I only spent 5 minutes on the back of the couch?  I do like looking about the window so that I am primed to announce each person who dares to cross in front of our house. But the call of the pillows was too great!

I wonder, what would it take to get Myrtle to bring some pillows down with us every morning?  I wonder, what would it take for her to bring all eight of them down?  Can you imagine the wonder of that??

This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

1 comment:

  1. Here's a suggestion, Amos. Maybe you could convince her to buy DOWNSTAIRS pillows too.

    Now, Amos -- shake hands!

    ReplyDelete