Tuesday, August 23, 2011

About my name...

Already I have gotten a lot of questions about my name.  I don't know why.  Amos is a perfectly acceptable name for a puppy dog, don't you think?  Amos Adams.  Kind of cool, if you ask me.  Rolls off your tongue pretty easily, doesn't it? 

Now, if I were a photographer, say of black and white work, it might be a problem.  But I'm pretty sure when I grow up I'll be something different.  So, I'm not at all worried about that.

So, Amos.

Well, it is kind of a weighty name.  I mean, most adorable puppies get cute names, right?  My Aunt M was campaigning for Cloud or Snowball.  Myrtle liked the idea a bit, but she really wanted a name that meant something to her and would mean something to me.  So, she named me Amos.

She named me Amos from one of her favorite passages from the Living Word.  [We're a confessional Lutheran household, so it's all about Word and Sacrament around here.]

"In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David,

And wall up its breaches;
I will also raise up its ruins
And rebuild it as in the days of old;

That they may possess the remnant of Edom
And all the nations who are called by My name,"
Declares the LORD who does this.

"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD,
"When the plowman will overtake the reaper
And the treader of grapes him who sows seed;
When the mountains will drip sweet wine
And all the hills will be dissolved.

"Also I will restore the captivity of My people Israel,
And they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them;
They will also plant vineyards and drink their wine,
And make gardens and eat their fruit.

"I will also plant them on their land,
And they will not again be rooted out from their land
Which I have given them,"
Says the LORD your God.

You see, God has finished telling Israel about her captivity, the trials and tribulations to come--and, man, were they rough times--but then He makes this promise...that one day...the riches of blessings will be so great that the mountains will drip sweet wine.  Can you imagine such a time?  Of course, maybe it should have been the mountains will be covered with kibble or treat bones or such.  But, hey, I cannot really argue with how God wanted to write His Message.

Myrtle, my doggie mom, well, she needs some hope.  She's had a lot of rough times.  So, Myrtle needs the idea of riches beyond measure.  And she needs a new beginning.  I'm her new beginning, her promises of the riches to come.  It's a hard name to live up to, but I think that it fits.  At least, I sure am working hard at pouring out riches upon her with all my kisses and snuggling and holding on to her.

Of course, as I said, it's all about Word and Sacrament around here. So, Myrtle reads about lots and lots and lots of wine and it gets her started thinking about the Lord's Supper, which gets her thinking about forgiveness.  That makes her happy, nearly gleeful.  I like a gleeful Myrtle. Sometimes, when she's playing and laughing with me, I see this look in her eyes when she calls out my name.  Her voice takes on a special note and an eagerness to tumble me about washes over her.  It's then I know she's thinking about why she named me Amos.  It's then when the two of us have the best time.  A gleeful Myrtle is a contagious thing.

Today, I was feeling kind of gleeful myself.  You see, I think Myrtle was feeling kind of guilty about refusing to bring down any extra pillows for me.  At least it sure seems like she was...for she piled high all three pillows for me so that I could have one spectacular nap!

Okay, I'll be honest about this.  Before I was napping on this bed from heaven, Myrtle was.  But that guilt surely must have been what made her not put the pillows back when she awoke so that I might enjoy them!

What do you think?  Does it look like I'm enjoying them?  SIGH.  I sure love me some pillows!

This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

2 comments:

  1. I liked your post, Amos. I think you hit the nail on the head about a gleeful Myrtle being a contagious thing. Do your best, okay, to give her a gleeful day today. There may even be a special treat in it for you sometime. I could tell you what I have in mind, but Myrtle would make all kind of disgusted noises if I did. So let's just keep it on the QT. Good boy!

    ReplyDelete