Friday, October 21, 2011

I'm not the only one...

I'm not the only one.  Myrtle...she can be down right sneaky!  I think, perhaps, my view of her has changed.

You see, for the longest time, I was getting her up at a reasonable hour:  9:00, 9:30, 10:00.  Don't those sound reasonable to you?  But then...Myrtle struck with a sneaky, crafty, underhanded move!

Myrtle hung two cotton blankets in our bedroom windows.  No longer does the glorious sun come pouring through the windows in the early morn, letting me know when we should awake.  No, that sneaky momma of mine has made it so that I am really not sure if it is morning or afternoon or early evening.

And so we sleep.  We sleep late.  Really late.

But that's not even the half of it.  Myrtle basically is a cheater.  Seriously, she is a cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater!

How so? you ask.  Myrtle has taken to leaving the windows opened all day and all night.  So, for example, last night it was 52 degrees in our bedroom.  FIFTY-TWO DEGREES!  So, a fellow is forced to snuggle up with his momma just to keep hypothermia from setting in.

And it doesn't even end there.  Seriously!  Well, whenever I stir, trying to do my duty for getting us both out of bed, Myrtle will pick me up, tuck my head beneath her chin, curl her body around mine, and stick out her hand for me to chew upon for a while.  The low-down dirty rat!
 
Early-morning, Myrtle will get up, tend her business, crawl back in bed, tuck me back in close, whisper sweet nothings, and I totally forget that we are supposed to be getting up for the day because it is dark and dreary in the room.  Dark and dreary and freezing cold.  But snuggling next to Myrtle, beneath the covers, I am warm.

Myrtle does the same a few hours later to take her morning medication.  Don't you think that if she is taking her medication for the day that Myrtle should get out of bed for the day?

Here she is, sticking out her arm to take a photo of me sleeping on her shoulder.  Yes, she's that bad.  She basically mocks me with her sneakiness by documenting it for all time.

I know...I know...I am an adorable fellow. You don't have to tell me.  And I am quite confident in my manhood, as you can see, to be sleeping so peacefully on floral sheets.  I suppose I do not really mind sleeping with Myrtle.  I just think she's setting a terrible example by being so sneaky and underhanded about getting us to sleep in later in the mornings.

And, well, I guess I should note just one small point.  Myrtle's been doing a lot of volunteering for a mission in Africa.  In going back and forth with the director, she's often up in the early hours of the morning.  If not with him, then with her writing project.  And if not her writing project is it either pain or nausea or both keeping her awake until exhaustion finally allows her to sleep.

Still.  Sneaky.  Is that really right?


This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

1 comment:

  1. Amos, I hate to disagree with you, but I must correct your word choice. The proper adjective applied to a human female is not "sneaky" but rather "conniving." You are, of course, but a young dog who is not yet wise in the ways of the world, so the error is excusable. You shall learn in time.

    Seriously, it's good to read your blog again. I've missed your posts. Myrtle does stay busy with her various projects, doesn't she? This is good for several reasons. First, it keeps her off the streets (though apparently not out of the Day Lily bed behind the garage); second, it allows her to use her creative gifts in a way beneficial to others, and especially in the cause of the Gospel; and third,her work impacts the lives of people all over the world, in ways she may never know.

    On second thought, forget the word "conniving." I'll let you keep "sneaky," though, if you let me suggest another adjective. The one I have in mind is "dedicated," for despite her various medical conditions your doggie-mom still works to help others spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. What a wonderful thing that is!

    ReplyDelete