Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why do I do what I do?

You know, for a young pup, I think I am a fairly smart fellow.  I have learned many words: sit, lay down, upstairs, downstairs, up, bed, bath, food, bone, baby, potty, poo poo, outside, time out, momma's-going-to-work, WHAT-ARE-YOU-DOING? and...bad dog.  Sort of wish I didn't know that last one.

But, to be fair, sometimes I might possibly deserve it.  Maybe not the way Myrtle can holler at me, but still, I keep finding myself doing things that I know are wrong.  I just cannot help myself.

Like, well, where to do my business.  I guess it makes sense that I should go outside.  And day after day after day will pass without any problems.  Then a day (or even two or three) will come when I somehow fail to remember everything I have learned.  And I hear a lot of "bad dog."

The thing is, I know I have done wrong.  I poop on the floor and run and hide, because I know what is coming.  I poop on the floor and try to slink away without notice.  Inexplicably, I even poop on the floor right at Myrtle's feet! Why?

The other really strange thing I find myself doing is starting off right, but then somehow losing my way.  I will ask Myrtle to take me outside.  She will take me outside. And then...well...I don't do anything.  In my defense, I will say there are tons of terrors outside: the Fearsome Beast, wet grass, barking dogs, machinery, cars, lights, fireworks, people talking, rain, lightening, thunder, frolicking children, frost...the list is never ending. It is hard for me to brave my fears and concentrate on the task at hand.  Myrtle will give up after a half hour or so and let me back inside.  Then, before I can stop myself, when her back is turned, I ended up doing that wrong thing again.  Why?

I went three weeks, three whole weeks with no mistakes.  Now, not so much.  So, why in the world do I keep making mistakes?  Why do I continue to do the things I know are wrong?

Yesterday, I sort of hit a low point with my puppy momma: I pooped on the stairs.  In my way of thinking, I did not poop upstairs, nor did I poop downstairs.  Myrtle has actually never mentioned the stairs to me.

I like being with Myrtle.  I like snuggling with her and playing with her and just hanging out with her.  If I make mistakes, though, I don't get to be with her. I am left all alone in the kitchen to contemplate my choices.  I don't even get credit when I start to make the right choice but fail to follow through.  I want to be with her more than anything in the world.  I really, really do.  So...

Why do I do what I do?


This is my life with Myrtle.  Amos Adams signing off!

5 comments:

  1. Amos, I think you are such a cute boy. You made me lol for pooping ON the stairs. I think you are pretty clever for finding a spot to do your thing which has not been previously identified as "taboo". I know that your mommy loves you very much and forgives you every single time you mess up (poor choice of words). I'm glad that Jesus forgives me for the "messes" I make (even though they are a bit different than yours!)
    Lots of love,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like St. Paul's predicament in Romans 7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Sue, Myrtle would tell you that I am in need of LOTS of forgiveness these days. While she worked in the basement, I found the need to use the concrete floor...twice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uncle Dolph, uhm, have you forgotten that I cannot read?

    ReplyDelete
  5. But she still loves you!

    BTW-have your mommy help you with your reading.

    ReplyDelete